Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010

Wanne-be Global Citizens

MUWCI makes us to “global citizens”. We think big not limited by the boarders of our nations. When we leave MUWCI we will have friends, who are spread all over the world. When I will hear news I will be more attentive for news from abroad than I was previously because I know the news may concern someone I know from school, a friend. Some of us may continue to travel for the rest of their life and may never go back to their home countries when something like this exists for that person in the first place. I have to say I am happy that I am able to call Germany my home country. I am happy that I have this “home-again” feeling when I am wondering around in Hamburg. I am happy that I am able to be homesick. That there is a place that represents my personal history, where I feel rooted. I know there are people in MUWCI who don’t have that, who lived every two years somewhere else. They don’t have this one place where they feel home every time they come back. I think to have this place that I call home gives me security. I feel - worst case - I can always come back here to Hamburg and I will be save. I am sure this depends to a large extent on the fact that I have family here and the situation would for sure be different when my family would move to another city. Nevertheless there will always be these places like my old school or the lake Alster that will represent a very important period of my life and will always remind me of my childhood and youth, which I spent here without any major interruption. I wonder what it means not to have this. Does it make you more free or do you get lost in the world? I think for me it is very dangerous to think of myself as a global citizen, because in the end I am still very much shaped by the German culture I grew up with. I still perceive myself as a German living in India now. I think I actually never felt my culture so much as I do now when I am abroad. We don’t assimilate in the world. We are not all equal. Global citizen is a concept that is just not possible I think. You cannot embody the world’s cultures and if we would, we would be nothing at all in the end. Also this having friends all over the world I think is meaningless in the end. When we leave MUWCI we will sooner or later lose each other. We are too far away. Even if we would have the means, we cannot jet so much through the world to stay in contact with the friends we make in MUWCI. In the end we will live there were we physically, locally are and that may be in Germany, South Africa, Portugal, Israel, China, Panama … Of cause thanks to the technique it’s not necessary to jet through the world to stay in contact. We can all write mails and exchange picture at facebook and skype with each other. But what kind of friendships are these? Electronic. We cannot be there for each other in times of depressions. We cannot hug each other. And we cannot jump around with each other in times of euphoria. We will do these things with people that are physically around us and one can only have so many close friends. We will lose contact and understanding of each other’s life because our lives will all look so different. I think this is way I am so scared of the end of MUWCI. Because the end is the end.

(Written: 26th Dec 20009)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen