Sonntag, 20. Dezember 2009

Religious Reasons - A Response to Elinor

I think the comfort someone gains by believing in god is indeed enough. There is clearly no rational reason for example to believe that you go to a heaven when you die, but it’s a believe that comforts you when you are the one left behind on earth, missing the dead person or being scared to die yourself. I don’t believe in god, but I have other sources of hope. I believe in myself and think that I am able to achieve things, make a change, I think a can make things better. But I am also “young and healthy”; Life is going well for me. I am in a situation where it is easy to believe in oneself without needing an external power to keep being optimistic towards life. I mean, why do so many old people become more and more religious or start being religious at all? Maybe because they cannot see themselves as their source of “energy and hope” anymore, because they have experiences too many disappointments in life. And why not then taking god as your source of hope? I actually think, if your believing does not make you fell better than you should not do it. The feeling of comfort is maybe the only good reason for being religious.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen